Wednesday 15 October 2014

Shit happens and They Are Meant to Happen

A lot of things happen to us that we sometimes cannot explain. Nevertheless, we always have to get to the end and see for ourselves that there is always a lesson to learn from the troubles we experience. See the story below:

We have all had them, one of those days when everything goes wrong. It happened to me one Friday.
I had an important meeting at 10.00 a.m. and, frankly, did not sleep well the previous night. My mind was swirling round and round with all the potential outcomes of that meeting. So I did not hear my alarm go off, woke late with a start, jumped out of bed, lurched into the bathroom, had my shower only to realize there were no towels. I ran naked and swearing through the house to find a clean towel, leaving a trail of wet footprints behind me.
The dog had been sick on the stairs; I had to clean that up, then clear out the cat's stinky litter tray (hate that job!), make the bed, walk the dog, throw the washing in the machine, - no time for breakfast, not even a coffee, and finally jump into the car. Hardly any petrol left! I limped lamely to the nearest garage to fill up with petrol. I would phone my client and explain that I would be a little late - traffic hold-up!
As I stretched my legs out of the car, to my horror, I found that I had forgotten to put on any knickers. 'OMG'. Mortified! Could anything else go wrong? Ooh yes, it could. In my haste to get out of the house, I had left my phone behind. Ah, ask the man behind the counter if I could use his phone. Go to pay for petrol, only to be told I am paying for diesel. No, I cried. It's petrol. Ma'am, you put diesel in your car, the man said. I shouted, I swore, exasperation, fury, stress. The man's face remained expressionless. What to do? And I certainly could not ask him to use his phone now. I returned to my car. What else could I have done? Tucking my skirt carefully around my knees, I gingerly started the engine. All well so far; I drove very, very slowly to my office where undoubtedly my client would be waiting. He was an unforgiving soul, and had frequently assured me, among others, that he was never late, and would never countenance anyone else being late for a meeting.
I pulled into the car park and rummaged in my handbag for a comb. No comb! So here I was, no knickers, no phone and no comb. Full of self-confidence (not) I stretched my legs and started to rise up out of the car, only to find I had caught my skirt on the gear knob. Miss no-knickers squealed. The security guard looked askance at me, raising a quizzical eyebrow and, tugging at my skirt, I somehow managed to redeem just sufficient dignity to get out of the car without further mishap. Tottering across the car park in too high heels, I did my level best to restore my hair, my skirt, my dignity, and get my breathe back.
Finally I lurched into the meeting room where my client was waiting. Apologies dripped ingratiatingly from my lips and my client, stony-faced, looked pointedly at his watch.
It is now 10.45, he said. Our meeting was booked for 10.00.
I know. I am so, so sorry, I gasped, still out of breathe. It's just - well, everything went wrong.
He picked up his brief-case, which he had already packed, and walked out. Not another word! I swear that is the truth. I sat down and cried. No knickers, no phone, no comb and a car which was probably just about written off, and all my own fault.
I hated my job. How dare any man treat me like this. Well, I would resign before I got fired, that was for sure.
I returned to my own desk, quickly wrote a letter of resignation and cleared my things. Five years in an office and all the personal stuff I had there was contained in just two drawers, just about enough to fill a carrier bag. That was all I had there for five years of hard and stressful labor.
Getting into my car, I limped along to another garage where a kind mechanic said that the diesel, as it was mixed with petrol, would not do much harm and all I had to do was top up with more petrol. Big sigh of relief from me!
On the way home I felt as light as air. I had resigned from my job and I was SO happy. I formulated my ideas of what I would do: I had always had, very much part-time and half-hearted, a multi-level marketing business. I would take that up full-time now, make a thing of it. I was HAPPY.
Now, five years later, my MLM business is thriving. I wake up each morning looking forward to the day ahead. I have learned so much, made many new friends across continents, I have traveled, and continue to do so. AND I have a substantial income (far more than I was earning) which will stay with me for life (pension, thank you) and I can pass it on to my children. I work from home, in my own hours, when I want to. I am my own boss, no more nasty clients to kowtow to. But the reality is that I WANT TO WORK at what I do every day. You see, I am helping people achieve their aspirations and I love it.
Very well then, the good book says everything works together for good... Believe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manchester United appoint new manager after Mourinho’s sack

Former Manchester United midfielder, Michael Carrick has been appointed to takeover as caretaker boss at the club.