Tuesday 3 July 2018

I Denounced My HIV status for my son's sake (see interview)



Joyce Mensah - Former AIDS Ambassador

Former AIDS Ambassador, Joyce Mensah has said denouncing her HIV status was to save her son from the public stigmatization.





Joyce Dzidzor Mensah, many Ghanaians believed was HIV positive and served for 5 years as an official HIV/AIDS Ambassador for Ghana AIDS Commission. Interestingly, five years later, she came public to say her HIV status was a sham – thus, she never contracted the deadly disease.


Explaining herself, she said she did what she did to help the AIDS Commission create awareness for the dreaded HIV/AIDS virus which was on the rise then. But somewhere along the line, her son at school was seriously stigmatized because of her HIV status known by Ghanaians.


“My son was the reason I denounced my HIV/AIDS status because he was stigmatized in school. My son complained to me how his school colleagues mocked him because of my HIV/AIDS campaign. He told me to stop the Ambassadorial duties or he will stop schooling and I had no option than to heed to my son’s decision”, Joyce Dzidzor Mensah told Vibes in 5

~ Ghbase

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manchester United appoint new manager after Mourinho’s sack

Former Manchester United midfielder, Michael Carrick has been appointed to takeover as caretaker boss at the club.