Sunday 18 February 2018

YOU CANNOT SPEAK AND LISTEN SAME TIME


"I listen to my partner. He just doesn't hear me".

I'm an advocate for multitasking, but how do you listen and speak at the same time?

Your partner shares their hopes and fears with you. Expectations are that you listen, encourage and motivate them.

Negative energy, occasioned with nagging, can only demotivate your partner.


Ok!!

So communication is key to the success of every future oriented relationship.

But I dare say - not every communication is healthy for the relationship. For instance, your partner doesn't want to talk about a particular topic that saturates the atmosphere with so much sadness and displeasure; and well, you know how those things turn out, but you truly want to talk about it. What do you?

Have you heard of wisdom or diplomacy?

That's the moment you activate those.


"Oh baby, I know how bad this makes you feel, and I respect that. You know I always want you to be happy, and I know deep down that you want to be happy too. I won't bring this up, if I didn't believe we would benefit from this discussion. But if you don't want to talk about this now, I understand. But, you know we have to talk about this someday".

You would've succeeded in raising a topic that is displeasing to your partner in a pleasing manner.

I think "oxymoron" could be synonymous to diplomacy.

But you cannot talk and listen at the same time.


Sowah Sowizi Emmanuel

1 comment:

Manchester United appoint new manager after Mourinho’s sack

Former Manchester United midfielder, Michael Carrick has been appointed to takeover as caretaker boss at the club.